How to do an Invert art ?


Now let’s learn how to do an Invert Art. If you don’t have a clue what’s an invert art is, and want to know more about it including its origin, I would suggest reading “What’s an Invert Art” before starting this.

Let’s start shall we?  I’m going to use ‘The Wolverine’ which I posted in the above article to walk you through it.

Now let’s take a reference photo for it, preferably something with dark as its majority. I took this one.

Wolverine image black and white

Now Let’s invert it. There are many ways to it. You could edit using any photo editing application on your phone. Or else you can use Photoshop. I use Gimp. It’s by Linux, open source, lightweight and free. I’ll be using it in most of my tutorials because it’s lightweight, simple and easy to use and understand.

               Now in gimp, go to colors/invert. The image is now inverted. In case you are met with a lot of greyish areas I would prefer playing around with the brightness and contrast section before doing the invert. Now after inverting the above Wolverine, I got something like this.

Wolverine after invert

               This is what you’ll have to draw now. Since the current image will not make any sense now, I would prefer using the grid method for drawing this (see "How to draw using grid method". I Use this method for most of my drawings since it improves the perfection, and helps a great deal if you are a newbie to drawing).

               You have to be extremely careful about the shading while drawing as this plays a major role in the end. Just make sure your drawing is an exact photocopy of the required image. Now this is what I get after drawing .

Wolverine sketch for invert art

               Almost there. Now invert your work, use the above methods I mentioned earlier.

Wolverine sketch after inverting

               Great, you just did an invert art. As I have mentioned in the article “What is an Invert Art ?”, the art is not constrained to black and white, you can try colors as well.

               If you need any tutorials or guides or tips regarding anything related to art please let me know in the comment sections below! And don’t forget to share this post and follow my blog.  Thank you :)

Comments